• A+
  • A
  • A-

Contact information

St-Elisabeth site - Uccle
02-614 20 00
St-Michel site - Etterbeek
02-614 30 00
Bella Vita Medical Center
02-614 42 00

History

Text

IN SUM…

  • 1908: establishment of the St-Elisabeth Institute, managed by the Congregation of the Augustinian Sisters of Mercy of Leuven
  • 1986: founding of the St-Elisabeth Hospital non-profit organisation
  • 1990: laying of the foundation stone of the new medical complex
  • 1991: hospital group formed with the Deux Alice Hospital
  • 1998: merger with the Deux Alice Hospital
  • 1999: merger with the Europe-Saint Michel Hospital to form Europe Hospitals
  • 2004: commencement of the extension work at the St-Elisabeth site
  • 2006: renovation of the St-Michel site
  • 2009: inauguration of the new wing at the St-Michel site
  • 2011: transfer of the activities of the Deux Alice Hospital to the St-Elisabeth site

A LITTLE SLICE OF HISTORY…

The origins of Europe Hospitals date back to 1908. At that time, it was an institute, St-Elisabeth Institute, run by the Congregation of the Augustinian Sisters of Mercy of Leuven. In 1928, it was hailed as one of the premier hospitals in the country.

It was in March 1986 that the non-profit organisation behind the St-Elisabeth Hospital was established and managed by a joint Board of Directors composed of representatives of Université Catholique de Louvain (UCL) and of Katholieke Universiteit Leuven (KU Leuven).

In October 1990, the foundation stone of the new St-Elisabeth Medical Complex was laid. The purpose was to provide patients with a first-rate therapeutic environment.

Furthermore, it was in June 1991 that a hospital group with Deux Alice Hospital, itself also located in the Uccle municipality and in existence since 1885, was formed.  The Éperonniers Hospital (a small former private hospital located near the Grand Place in Brussels) had merged a few years prior with the Deux Alice Hospital and had integrated the Groeselenberg buildings in Uccle, thereby uniting with this institution well over one hundred years old.  It was during the course of this same year that the now St-Elisabeth/Deux Alice Hospital Group welcomed within its walls a mobile emergency unit (smur) for the Brussels-Capital region.

A few years later, in 1998, under the impetus of joint management and the process of harmonising the statuses of the personnel such as the medical personnel which was nearing completion, the hospital group gave way to a merger, forever linking the destinies of these two Uccle-based institutions.  However, to meet the technological evolution and the growing need for medical infrastructure and equipment, there was a need to expand still further! It is therefore in late 1999 that a merger with the Europe-St Michel Hospital, located in Etterbeek would be proposed, decided upon and finalised in record time to establish Europe Hospitals, along with the St Elisabeth/Deux Alice Hospital. To be precise, it should be recalled that the Europe-St Michel Hospital is the result of successive mergers: the Faisanderie and the Marie-Louise Square first, then the Malibran and St-Michel Hospitals.

The changes in structure did not stop there. In fact, in 2004, the old buildings on the St Elisabeth site were demolished to create space for a new extension and the transfer of the activities from the Deux Alice site.

Two years later, it was the St-Michel site that underwent an initial renovation and, subsequently, a reconstructed facility which was inaugurated in May 2009.

The new facility on the St-Elisabeth site was completed in December 2011 with the move of the Deux Alice site. The Europe Hospitals from then on has comprised only two hospital sites: the St-Elisabeth site in Uccle and the St-Michel site in Etterbeek.

AT PRESENT…

The Europe Hospitals are managed by Mr Peter Fontaine, delegated administrator and executive director since November 2016 and by Dr Yvan de Meeûs, medical director since October 2017.